Sweet Pepper Relish
Another study shows that organic produce can be more nutritious than its conventional counterparts. Research published in the journal Plants found that both red and green organic bell peppers had 5.7% more vitamins and minerals. Specifically, organic bell peppers had higher concentrations of calcium, iron, potassium and phosphorus, suggesting that organic is a healthier choice.
Pepper relish is a condiment that can be added to anything from ice cream to cheese plates to burgers. You can use whatever peppers you like to adjust spiciness, but this recipe calls for bell peppers, which don’t pack any heat.
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 2 cups finely chopped peppers
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon whole seed mustard
- 1 tsp salt (or more to taste)
- 4 garlic cloves finely chopped or grated
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup white vinegar
- Optional spices: ground cumin, smoked paprika to taste
- Heat oil in pan on high and add peppers and onions. Brown the pepper/onion mix by cooking with little stirring for a few minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil so that the sugar dissolves.
- Once sugar is dissolved, turn heat down to low and simmer until soft onions and peppers are soft, and much of the moisture has cooked off. This should take about 20-30 minutes depending on the type of pepper you’re using.
- Remove from heat and serve or store in an airtight container in the fridge.
Banner Photo Credit: AnnaPustynnikova; istockphoto.com